Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Poetry of Cascadia

A Haiku

O Cascadia!
A land of many mountains
and the Salish Sea.

I should say that I generally detest Haiku. It is like the Twitter of the poetry world. You can make lots of pretty noises with it, but you can't really say anything, because it is too limited. I wrote this, not so much for literary quality (I am pretty sure it has none), but to lay down a marker of my intention to write poems and stories that are connected to Cascadia, the land where I live.

I would eventually like to be able to produce something worthy of being published in, for instance,  Windfall: A Journal of Poetry of Place. I really like the idea behind this journal, and it seems like we desperately need more of what it offers; namely, an effort to reconnect culture with the places where we live. In my own small way, I am trying to nurture that reconnection with regards to the culture of Cascadia.

No comments:

Post a Comment